Last year was our first Christmas, and we didn't really get into it. We stayed at my Parents house, and watched my nieces open presents in the morning. We just kind of held on to the traditions of my parents.
We didn't get our own tree or do anything special. We did hang up sparkly snowflakes from our exposed pipes that we bought at the dollar store! So this year inspired by Lindsay we sat down and talked about what we wanted to be our family traditions.
We decided the traditions we like-
- Create a new Family Theme for the next year
- Visit the Temple and see the Christmas lights
- Go to see "A Christmas Carol"
- Put up Decorations After Thanksgiving! Nothing too crazy, but you a few little things.
- Read the night before Christmas, on Christmas Eve
- Open New PJ's on Christmas Eve
- Open an Ornament that represents something important that happened in the family that year.
- Read the Christmas Story from the Bible on Christmas morning.
- Christmas movie night with the cousins- Movies, cookies & hot cocoa! We are so excited to start this one this year and host my nieces!
- Talk about the history of Santa and the Spirit of Christmas- we will not be a Santa Family. Rather we will talk about the history of Santa and the spirit of giving that he inspired in everyone, and how the greatest gift of all was the life of our Savior. It is going to be difficult to manage this, but we have at least one set of friends who don't do Santa either! Wish us luck!
- Adopt a family or take names off of a Wish tree!
So here we go trying to make our Second Christmas a little more real! We decided we are going to stay every other year with my parents. Doing Christmas eve at their house and waking up on Christmas morning. On our off years we will do Christmas eve and Christmas morning in our own home! This will give our potential future children both experiences. I can't wait! I am sure the list will grow and grow and grow and change. So here is to our FIRST real Christmas!
Our First Christmas Tree! Its tiny, but so is our family, so we think its PERFECT!
Wreath on our front door. This was Adam's idea and contribution to our Christmas Decor, I think he did a great job! Way to be honey buns.
Little Snowmen on our steps! My Sister in law gave me these last year. They make our basement steps a little homier.
Our little Nativity! It was a wedding gift from Brother and Sister Lundt, and we LOVE IT. I need to add more figures and get these people a manger!
What are your family holiday traditions????
I LOVE hearing what other families do!